How much is one Q worth in USD?
At this stage, Qs are only being reserved, and cannot be used. If Initiative Q becomes a leading payment network, Qs are expected to be worth approximately 1 US dollar per Q. This estimate is detailed in our economic model.
What is your estimate of the Q value based on?
The reasoning behind the estimated future value of the Q payment network can be summarized as follows:
- The payment world is stuck with decades old technologies, since it is very difficult to get buyers to adopt a new technology that sellers don’t yet support and vice versa.
- Initiative Q solves this problem by compensating early adopters with future currency.
- This enables the building of a payment network that is far superior to current ones.
- A payment network that is both superior technologically, and widely adopted, would be preferred by both buyers and sellers.
- It is realistic to expect that such a network would eventually overtake credit cards, which account for $20 trillion in annual transactions.
- The total amount of money in the world is roughly half the world’s annual economic activity. The value of all Q currency could thus reach half of Q’s annual volume (i.e. $10 trillion).
- An alternative data point is the value of cryptocurrencies which peaked at nearly $1 trillion, despite hardly being used for real payments (nearly all activity is speculation).
- Therefore, the total future value of Qs could reach a few trillion dollars. Since there are currently 2 trillion Qs, the goal of one US dollar per Q is achievable.