A Lightning Risk Assessment determines whether a structure and its surroundings are in danger of being struck by lightning. This investigation also ensures that all the structural necessities are on point and that a Lightning protection system supplier in Singapore is used to reduce any damages or injuries that may occur due to the same. The evaluation also deciphers which building structure needs a lightning protection system and which is already lightproof.
Singapore receives an average of 2200 mm of rainfall every year. It is, hence, essential to have your school, hospital, and corporate buildings checked for lightning protection. This way, one can ensure that during any thunderstorm, the people residing inside the building are safe. It is instructed that people should properly assess their lightning protection system each year.
Reasons to Evaluate the Risk of Lightning Protection in Your Building
Lightning strikes comprise a large proportion of insurance claims in Singapore, where thunderstorms are the most common. In addition, such occurrences may result in the following:
- Electronics harm
- Deaths and property damage
The results of the facility's lightning risk assessments impact any of the advocated measures that can be applied for lighting protection. Some of the factors are:
- Institutions that provide critical services
- Areas where lightning strikes regularly
- Facilities for storing flammable materials
- Historic structures
- Isolated buildings
How Is Lighting Protection Risk Assessment Conducted?
The following steps will be carried out in the risk assessment:
- The lighting protecting assessment is the initial step before putting forward an LPS. Hence, the first factor will be to check the performance of the existing LPS (if any), perform an Earthing audit and collect all necessary information about the existing building.
- Technical engineers will review the LPS data and examine if they satisfy the government-approved regulatory standards.
- Once the data is confirmed with the same, the engineers then update or install a new lighting protection system in the building.
The principles of impact should be thoroughly investigated. The effect and regional lightning characteristics can be used to estimate the lightning risk. Several factors influence lightning distribution. Another challenge is determining the probability distribution of risk components. Lighting protection installation is required to more precisely assess the lighting risk on the signal system so that the disaster impact on electric devices, signal buildings, and other equipment can be researched further.